Monday, August 25, 2014

Chicken stock: The experiment

Friday was a travel day for us, but we also realized quite late that we had a limited supply of food in the house. 

This led to a  problem: We would be getting home around dinner time but have no dinner, and no breakfast food either.

Solution? Grocery store run. But The Husband had a plan. He wanted a rotisserie chicken for dinner Friday, with leftovers to be used in jambalaya the next night. OK, can do. I have a jambalaya recipe I've been tinkering with for months now.

After the chicken was pulled, we decided we wanted do something more. We wanted to make chicken stock. This would be an experiment!

Here are the steps we took when making our stock:

1. Pull a cooked chicken clean. Some chicken left on the carcass is OK!
2. Break the bones and put the chicken carcass in a large pot.
3. Clear the vegetable drawer. I cut the tops off my celery, you know the part most people throw away? I used it in this. I used the flimsy baby carrots I would have probably tossed. I also used half of an onion.
4. My seasonings were: Palm full of dried parsley. I bet fresh is good too, but we didn't have any in the fridge. I used salt and pepper. My pepper is rainbow pepper from the Funky Fairy. It is amazing!
5. Fill the pot with water.
6. Bring the pot to a boil.
7. Turn it down and let it simmer for 2 to 4 hours, skimming fat off if it comes to the surface.
8. When it is done, strain the solids and press them, making sure to get as much of the stock out as possible.
9. Let the broth cool in the fridge and skim the fat off the top.

Ta-da! That's it. Super easy. This can last for a couple days in the fridge, and I'm not sure how long in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. I always do my stock in the slow cooker. Throw everything in, put it on low for 8-10 hours, skim it and voila! Chicken (or turkey) stock.

    ReplyDelete